The types of personal information or personal data we may collect about you include:
- Your name and your contact details.
- Your bio.
- Details of your employer, your employment and your job title.
- Your industry.
- Images of you.
- Dietary requirements.
- Your age and/or date of birth.
- Your demographic information, such as postcode.
- Your preferences and/or opinions.
- Information you provide to us through surveys you can choose to participate in.
- Additional personal information that you provide to us, directly or indirectly, through your use of our Site, associated applications, associated social media platforms and/or accounts from which you permit us to collect information, and;
- Any other personal information requested by us and/or provided by you or a third party.
- We may collect these types of personal information directly from you or from third parties.
Collection and use of personal information
We may collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the following purposes:
If you are an attendee:
- Your name and your contact details: We need your name and your contact details to register you as an attendee of an event you have bought a ticket for or expressed interest in. We also use your contact details to send you updates regarding the event you are attending, to notify you of upcoming events and to provide you with information we think might be relevant or of interest to you. Where you consent, we may also share your contact details with other event attendees and sponsors of the event.
- Your bio, images of you and employment details: We use these details to create a profile for you. Where you consent, we may also share these details with other event attendees and sponsors of an event. We may also use this information to tailor information to you, so that it is relevant for your particular industry, specialty or employment area.
- Your preferences and opinions: We ask for your preferences and opinions to be able to tailor information for you. We also ask for your preferences so we can tailor our event to you, to the extent possible. For example, where we provide catering, we may ask for your catering preferences so we can ensure our refreshments meet your needs.
If you are representative of a sponsor or an exhibitor:
- Your name.
- Your contact details and details about your business.
- If you are an exhibitor, we collect your contact details and details about your business so we can register you for an event and inform people about your business, such as in marketing material advertising an event. We will also use your contact details to let you know if an event is coming up that you may be interested in.
We constantly strive to improve our services. Where you provide us with information through surveys or feedback generally, we’ll use this information to improve our service, and other uses of information. We also use information for internal record keeping and administrative purposes, for analytics, market research and business development, including to operate and improve our Site, associated applications and associated social media platforms and to comply with our legal obligations and resolve any disputes that we may have.
Disclosure of personal information to third parties
We may disclose personal information to:
- Third party service providers for the purpose of enabling them to provide their services, including (without limitation) IT service providers, ticketing providers, data storage, web-hosting and server providers, marketing or advertising providers, professional advisors and payment systems operators, sponsors.
- Our employees, contractors and/or related entities.
- Our existing or potential agents or business partners.
- Anyone to whom our business or assets (or any part of them) are, or may (in good faith) be, transferred;
- Courts, tribunals, regulatory authorities and law enforcement officers, as required by law, in connection with any actual or prospective legal proceedings, or in order to establish, exercise or defend our legal rights.
- Third parties, including agents or sub-contractors, who assist us in providing information, products, services or direct marketing to you. This may include parties located, or that store data, outside of South Africa including in the United States; and
- Third parties to collect and process data, such as Google Analytics or other relevant businesses. This may include parties that store data outside of South Africa, including in the United States.
- You acknowledge that some third parties may not be regulated by the Protection of Personal Information Act and if any such third party engages in any act or practice that contravenes the Act, it would not be accountable under the Act and you will not be able to seek redress under the Act.
Your rights and controlling your personal information
Restrict: You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information. If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes, you may change your mind at any time by contacting us using the details below (or you can unsubscribe). If you ask us to restrict how we process your personal information, we will let you know how the restriction affects your use of our Site or products and services.
Access: You may request details and/or a copy of the personal information that we hold about you. Where possible, we will provide this information in CSV format or other easily readable machine format. You may request that we erase the personal information we hold about you at any time.
Correction: If you believe that any information, we hold about you is inaccurate, out of date, incomplete, irrelevant or misleading, please contact us using the details below. We will take reasonable steps to correct any information found to be inaccurate, incomplete, misleading or out of date.
Complaints: If you believe that we have breached the Protection of Personal Information Act and wish to make a complaint, please contact us using the details below and provide us with full details of the alleged breach. We will promptly investigate your complaint and respond to you, in writing, setting out the outcome of our investigation and the steps we will take to deal with your complaint. You also have the right to contact the Information Regulator if you wish to make a complaint.
Storage and security
We are committed to ensuring that the personal information we collect is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure, we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures such as the pseudonymisation and encryption of personal information, to safeguard and secure personal information and protect it from misuse, interference, loss and unauthorised access, modification and disclosure.
Cookies and web beacons
We use the following cookies:
- Strictly necessary cookies. These are cookies that are required for the operation of our Site. They include, for example, cookies that enable you to log into secure areas of our Site, use a shopping cart or make use of e-billing services.
- Analytical/performance cookies. These are cookies that allow us to recognise and count the number of visitors to our Site and to see how visitors move around our Site when they are using it. This helps us to improve the way our website works, for example, by ensuring that users are finding what they are looking for easily.
- Functionality cookies. These are used to recognise you when you return to our Site. This enables us to personalise our content for you and remember your preferences (for example, your choice of language or region).
You can find more information about the individual cookies we use and the purposes for which we use them in the table below:
_ga / _gid / _gat
These cookies are used by our Google Analytics account to track customer traffic through the website to help us understand how our website is being used by our customers
This cookie is used to send data to Google Analytics about your device and behavior. This cookie monitors your behaviour across devices and marketing channels.
This cookie is used by Google AdWords to re-engage visitors.
You block cookies by activating the setting on your browser that allows you to refuse the setting of all or some cookies. However, if you use your browser settings to block all cookies (including essential cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of our site.
We may use web beacons on our Site from time to time. Web beacons (also known as Clear GIFs) are small pieces of code placed on a web page to monitor the visitor’s behaviour and collect data about the visitor’s viewing of a web page. For example, web beacons can be used to count the users who visit a web page or to deliver a cookie to the browser of a visitor viewing that page.
We may use Google Analytics to collect and process data. To find out how Google uses data when you use third party websites or applications, please see www.google.com/policies/privacy/partners/ or any other URL Google may use from time to time.
Links to other websites
For any questions or notices, please contact our Privacy Officer at:
Eventful People Pty Ltd company number 2010/000135/07
Last update: 9 October 2019